Sunday, June 1, 2008

Why "See the Lilies?"

Why?? My 22-month-old son hasn't entered the infamous "Why? Why? Why?" stage, but I can't seem to leave it. Why haven't we sold our old house yet? Why does my husband insist on arguing with me about how long my son's hair is? Why is it that 30 mintues after I mop the floor, my dog Lola suddenly has the urge to "do her business" in my house?!? Why? Why? Why?

I guess there's always a reason to ask why. Last week, however, the ever popular "Why do bad things happen...Why me?" was the only question I was asking. I went to my Ob-Gyn for my 12-week check-up, and he couldn't find my baby's heartbeat. This is my second miscarriage. The first happened last year, when I was only about 6 1/2 weeks along. This time, however, we had already seen our baby's heartbeat on the sonogram at my first doctor's visit. Needless to say, I was crushed.....no, devastated. I've spent the last four days trying to make sense of it.

When I was in college, I wrote a song called to "To See the Lilies". In short, here's the message of the song: All of us love those mountain-top experiences in life. But it is only the valleys where the lilies seem to grow, the flower of peace. Could that mean that we only understand peace when we allow God to lead us through trials? Perhaps...

But I still wonder why...I guess I always will.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments: