Tuesday, June 10, 2008

National Lampoon's European Vacation

My mom & dad, along with my brother and his wife & daughter, are all traveling through Europe over the next 3 weeks. And I can't help but imagine the Griswald family from National Lampoon's when I picture my family in places like Germany, Austria, France, Switzerland, and London. My brother will be bringing home a BMW (color me jealous!), and my sister-in-law will be visiting her sister, whose husband is stationed in London for a few years. My sweet little 8-yr-old niece has already seen more of this world than I have in my (ahem, no comment) years.

But my parents!!! That's what tickles me! I'm sure this would never happen, but I just picture my dad in Germany, wearing those terrible little....do they call them knickers?--the little green overall shorts?...and drinking several of those HUGE mugs of German beer! And my mom....now she's been overseas before (Italy and Japan, I think)....but the French have a reputation for being quite rude, a concept that is completely foreign to Southerners! Especially someone as sweet and polite as my mother.

I'm very excited that they all have this opportunity. I can't wait to see the pictures and hear all the stories. It's kind of given me an itch to go on vacation myself. Wonder what Jamaica's like this time of year!

1 comment:

lilsis said...

I just hope dad doesn't wear his long black socks with sandals. He'll never learn. Just to let you know, mom is not quite as sweet and innocent as you made her out to be. I think she can hang with those Frenchmen just fine. Keep up the blog. I really enjoy it.