Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The best cookie in the world!

I am FAR from being a chef. I've always enjoyed cooking....I've just never been good at it. What I can do is follow a recipe. So I love to bake. There's no "little of this, little of that" garbage that those who can cook use to frustrate those of us who have no idea what a "little" is.

And since I am a self-proclaimed expert on cookies, especially those with chocolate in them, I try almost every recipe I can find. This is by far the best cookie I have ever had....and trust me, I've had a LOT! I must give credit where credit is due....and because I don't want to get in trouble for putting something on the internet that may be copyrighted....I got the recipe from watching Food Network: "Good Eats" with Alton Brown. I can only follow a recipe, not create one. This one came straight from Alton himself.

Try the recipe! Follow it to a T. I promise: You're gonna love it! And all your friends are going to ask you to make it again and again.


2 sticks unsalted butter -- real butter, not that stuff in the tub
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 tsp kosher salt -- kosher is a MUST, not regular salt...makes all the difference
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips -- ok, sometimes I use a few more than 2 cups (can you ever really have too many chocolate chips?)

Hardware required:
Ice cream scooper (Alton recommends #20 disher, but I don't know what that is...just use whatever ice cream scooper you've got)
Parchment paper
baking sheets
Mixer


Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 Tbsp milk, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough (I usually chill it for about 30-40 minutes), then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. (Ok, this is my note here: mine have never taken 14 minutes...and pull them out of the oven before they look finished on top....if they look "done" inside the oven, it's too late) Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.




ENJOY!!!!!!

No comments: