Sunday, May 10, 2009

Aha! moments

It was the bottom of the second inning at an Ole Miss baseball game (go Rebs!) when I had this Aha! moment, a revelation that completely distracted me for the rest of the game. As a recently preggo girl, with a post-baby body and all of the self-image problems associated with it, I have been consumed with losing weight and toning/strengthening muscles which have not been used in awhile. Problem is: if I have a couple of weak moments during a day, I usually just give up on that particular day and chow down on all the sweets and snacks I crave. After all, there's always tomorrow. "I'll just start fresh tomorrow" I always say.

Well, this particular day had been just like that. Two mugs of coffee (w/ lots of creamer) and 2 cookies for breakfast, fried chicken strips and fries for lunch, don't remember what I had for supper, but when we got to the baseball game......first thought was of M&M's and Dr. Pepper. I wanted so desperately to give in. It had already been a terrible day for my diet, no exercise done, etc. That old faithful mentality came to mind: "I'll just start fresh tomorrow". It was then that my Aha! moment hit me: We're not promised tomorrow! If I'm going to make a difference in my life, make a positive impact on my children's lives, it has to be today.

I was so excited to experience this revelation, this motivational tidbit. This was it! This would be the strength I needed to get me through temptations and the kick in the pants I needed to get me off the couch.

Of course, my excitement was short-lived when my second revelation hit me a few moments later: If I'm not promised tomorrow, then I'm not going out of this world hungry! Pass me some chocolate!!! Herein lies the dilemma that "consumed" me for the rest of the game.

Oh, and did I mention that we were sitting directly behind a former Miss Mississippi who struck up a conversation with the four of us. How's this for motivation: craving M&M's and Dr. Pepper while your husband is talking to a friendly, beautiful, funny, blonde, former Miss Mississippi who loves sports. Just in case you're wondering......I skipped the M&M's and Dr. Pepper.

No comments: